Wire EDM, Sinker EDM & Small Hole Drilling
At Omega, we are experts in the EDM field, and recognize the special capability that this very accurate machining process affords. Any part made of conductive material can be EDMed to tolerances as close as 0.0001” in any shape. Omega’s EDM department includes 4 Wire EDM machines and 2 Conventional EDM Machines, and an EDM Drilling Machine.
What is Wire EDM?
Wire EDM is a process where a brass wire is charged with electricity that erodes or cuts a path through a metal piece. This flexible and very accurate process can create parts that are simple or complex in design with great accuracy.
Capabilities of our Wire EDM Machines:
- Wire diameters include: .006, .008, .010, .012
- Table Travel up to 15.7” x 23.6”
- Cutting Head with Z axis height up to 16.5”
- Up to 45 degree tapered cuts
- 5 axis completely independent on all machines
- Top quality modular 3R and MECA Tooling for quick and convenient setups
- Automatic Threading capabilities for “lights out” manufacturing
- MasterCAM X5 Software for easy programming and translating files
- Cuts hardened parts
- Eliminates problems associated with heat treat distortions
- Machines exotic materials such as super alloys, titanium, copper & aluminum
- One of the most accurate machining processes
- Total consistency – no tooling to wear
- Design flexibility – Any shape can be produced and in one piece rather than several
Sinker EDM, Conventional EDM, RAM EDM, Plunge EDM and Die-Sinker are all names for the same process. The Sinker EDM process is very ideal for a wide variety of applications. At Omega we often use this process to create simulated weld flaws for Ultra Sonic Testing Equipment. It can also be used for any parts with:
Blind Cavities, Intricate details, Sharp Corners, Fine Finishes, Thin Walls, Blind Keyways, Internal Splines, Squares, or Hexes, and to machine threads into hardened parts
Any conductive material such as Aluminum, Brass, Carbide, Copper, Hastelloy, Inconel, Kovar, Stainless Steel, Tool Steels, and Titanium can be machined using Sinker EDM. This is not a comprehensive list, but shows that many metals can be machined using this process.
Small Hole Drilling
This is a process that allows us to put straight holes in any conductive material using EDM technology. These holes have a diameter ranging from 0.006” to 0.130”. This is ideal for long straight holes that are difficult to drill otherwise. It is effective in commonly used metals such as steel, aluminum, and copper as well as exotic materials such as Superalloys, Carbide, Hastelloy, Inconel, Refractaloy, Titanium, and Stainless Steels that are more difficult to drill.
At Omega, we use small hole drilling to put holes in components used by many different industries including the Nuclear Power Industry and Ultrasonic Testing Components, Steam Turbine components, and Specialty Fasteners.